January 3, 2009

My Drumkit Set-Up Experiment, Part 2

Okay, so here's my drumkit set-up at our Off The Grill gig last night.


Added to my alternative set-up (as discussed a few days ago on this blog) is a Wuhan China cymbal on the right side, which is mounted on the same cymbal stand where my two low toms are suspended. I used the boom stand from OTG's house kit for my ride cymbal.
So, after the gig, I'm able to assess this set-up's pros and cons. I'll start with the cons...

CONS:
  1. This set-up has a bigger footprint, which can be a concern on tight spaces and small stages.
  2. I'm still pretty much used to my kit's more compact original set-up. On the old set-up, tom fills were easy because all the toms were lined up together, and it was compact. Now, I have to reach further, especially when crossing from the 10" tom going towards the lowest tom, and back. Because of that, I have to adjust the multi-tom rolls and fills that I often enjoy playing.
  3. My cymbal boom stand's tripod doesn't completely fold because a tom holder's clamp is on the way (the tom mounts' clamps are both mounted on the same spot; see Part 1 blog for photo reference). So during tear-downs, I need to remove the lower clamp so that the tripod legs would fold neatly for transport, which is an annoyance for good old obsessive-compulsive me.

PROS:
  1. I love grooving more than ever. And this set-up makes me groove even more. It must be psychological... The fact that I don't see all my toms all at once when I'm faced front & a closed pair of hats are directly in front of me, it somehow makes me focus more on grooving, which is a very good thing for me.
  2. The closed hats set closer to me is such a huge convenience. Plus, it's allowing me to become creative, particularly with the use of both the main hats and the closed hats for grooving.
  3. Visually, the set-up looks so cool.

SOLUTIONS AND APPLICATIONS:
  1. In case I don't have enough space, I can go for a two-tom set-up (the 10" in front, and either the 12" or the 14" low on my right).
  2. I'll be working more on adjusting my favorite tom fills.
  3. I'm looking forward to having a second crash cymbal on my right side, just above the low toms, to help make things easier for me.
  4. A dedicated double tom stand would also help make things easier for me.
  5. When I already have an additional 8" tom, I'll place that next to where the 10" tom is right now. That would make me adjust my left-side crash and splash cymbals.
  6. A few more cymbals and a tom, and that's it... It's my full drum set-up!

Okay, that's it for now. Comments and suggestions are welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment