December 31, 2009

Happy Birthday, Sir Jun Regalado!


Happy Holidays, folks!

Today, December 31, is the birthday of Jun Regalado, the Godfather of Philippine drumming and one of the finest Filipino musicians ever. Happy Birthday Sir Jun!

Thanks to his son, ace session drummer Junjun Regalado (who is a fellow DLSU Pops Orchestra alumnus), I was able to meet the legend. Even if I never had any formal lessons with Sir Jun (though I would love to have the time and opportunity to take formal lessons from him someday), I've learned a lot from him, mostly from his drum clinics and sharing sessions. I have tremendous respect and admiration for Sir Jun, and I look up to him as a mentor and inspiration.

Another great thing about Sir Jun is he is a class act and a very kind and caring man.
I remember that drum clinic he had years ago at the Monk's Dream jazz bar in Powerplant Mall, Rockwell, Makati. As always, Sir Jun conducted an effective and informative drum clinic. After the clinic, while waiting for his crew to finish packing up his drum gear, Sir Jun went to our table, sat with us, then had some more drum and music talk. He's one of the nicest senyors I've ever met.

A couple of weeks ago, I was thrilled that Sir Jun is on Facebook, and he added me on his friend's list, then sent me a message. Here are excerpts of his message, sent to me last December 13. The message is not only for me, but for all Pinoy drummers out there...

*****
"Hi Anthony! Jun Regalado here, belated happy birthday last Dec 5. It's been 2 years that I haven't received messages in my email from Pinoydrums. Please do me favor to remind all Pinoy drummers to play their drums on the eve of Dec.31, which happens to be my birthday. But that's not the point; it's one way to welcome the New Year. For us drummers it's the only time of the year when we can freely play and express our drum playing in our houses that we don't feel disturbing the neighborhood. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!"

"Kindly share my messages and reminders to all Pinoydrummers! Let's enjoy life as a musician and be friends of all musicians around us."


*****
Thank you very much, Sir Jun! Happy Happy Birthday! I wish you good health, more happiness & more music & drumming.

No comments:

Post a Comment