September 15, 2009

Jamming on Bagets' New Gear

The photo above was shot last night. I dropped by at Off The Grill to check out Benjie Mendez and his new DW and Meinl gear, courtesy of Lyric. Bagets had a gig with Paolo Santos, Jano Queyquep (lead guitar) and Marlowe Mata (bass). A number of fellow drummers were present last night, which included Lyric's two representatives, Gep Macadaeg and Lester Banzuelo (Fuseboxx).

Bagets' DW drums sound absolutely amazing, and his Meinl Byzance cymbals are among the most crisp and cleanest-sounding metal I've ever heard. I feel that these instruments compliment Bagets' drumming style so well. Near the end of the first set, Bagets called me, then Jeff Lima to jam. I think Bagets wants to hear his gear played by other drummers, and/or he gave us the opportunity to try his DW/Meinl set-up. I was smiling almost the whole time when I was playing on Bagets' kit. It was such a joy to play! It really felt so good! It felt so easy playing those beautiful drums and cymbals, which responded beautifully to whatever touch or level of dynamics we play. It's like the kit is helping us play better. It's always a wonderful feeling to play musical instruments that allow us musicians to express better.

I felt very inspired after playing on Bagets' drumkit. Why? First, I'm so happy for Bagets' new endorsement deal. I can feel the happiness of my mentor, knowing the musical hardships and frustrations he's gone through all these years. He deserves all these blessings. Second, it goes to show that being truly committed and dedicated to your chosen art has its rewards. I am very aware that living a musician's life isn't a breeze, and there will always be tests and struggles along the way. But, I believe that if we musicians just keep on improving and developing, expressing our musicianship with dignity and conviction, being honest with our work, sharing the bounty, and be an inspiration to others, then it's by fate that we'll be rewarded in some ways.

As for myself, I don't know if it will mean more gigs for me and my band, or a future endorsement deal, or whatever opportunity that may come... To be honest, I don't really want to think about it. I don't want to think about potential financial or musical success, or fame, especially. Personally, I don't really want to become famous; but if it's bound to happen, I'm hoping that it will be in a positive way. Anyway, it's perfectly normal to dream on. But for now, I just want to get better as an artist. And deep inside, I feel that if we just go on, keep on learning, working hard, doing positive things, and be the best that we can be with our chosen craft, the rewards will come someday.

I'm really feeling so inspired right now...

Photo courtesy of Lester Banzuelo of Fuseboxx.

No comments:

Post a Comment