December 16, 2010

My DW Pedal Broke, Part 2: The Broken Piece

For Part 1 of this blog, click here - My DW Pedal Broke (27 Nov 2010).

*****

Almost three weeks after the chain piece of the primary pedal of my DW 5002AH double bass pedal snapped, I finally found some spare time yesterday afternoon to tinker with the pedal, remove the broken part, and inspect it.  I took a couple of photos of the damaged metal piece of the DW double chain, which is the strip that connects the chain to the footboard (using a nut and screw).



Detaching the broken chain from the footboard was tough because it was screwed way too tight.  I was almost at the point of ruining the Phillips head of the screw.  Why are DW's pedal parts screwed on very very tight?  Good thing I found an old pair of pliers with a very strong grip, to hold the nut underneath.

Like I mentioned on the first blog, I'm not heavy-footed, I've never broken a high-end bass pedal before this incident due to malpractice or carelessness, and it's unlikely that the double pedal's previous owner/s tampered, modified, or maltreated it.  I guess it's simply a matter of good old mechanical wear & tear, and perhaps some bad luck.

Yet I still feel that a product that's supposed to be well-thought out, mechanically sound, and of high quality shouldn't give in just like that.  I have drummer buddies who've owned and played DW pedals for years and even decades, but how come their DWs never broke down like that?

Now that I've seen the actual damage, I placed an order for a new DW double chain (courtesy of Vinci Rodriguez of The Drum Shop Manila).  Now all I need to do is wait.

dwsm1204 - 3000/5000/7000 Double Chain with Link. Fits 3000, 5000 and 7000 series pedals.  Photo from the DW website.

No comments:

Post a Comment